Monday, April 28, 2008

Trash to Treasure

Proving once again that our hearty Midwestern pluck is strong enough to overcome even Mother Nature's most insidious plans, the good people of Podunky hold our heads high today.

The Great Village Wide Rummage Sale is behind us, and we are all proudly awash in crumpled dollar bills and sticky quarters. From one end of the county to the other, our used baby clothes, glassware, toys and books are comfortably ensconsed in their new homes, having been magically turned to cash as part of the venerable capitalist ritual known as bargain hunting.

Friday's shoppers were not deterred in the least by torrents of cold rain that lasted much of the morning; while Saturday's inveterate free market explorers braved fierce northern winds and temperatures in the 40's in the lusty pursuit of that fairly priced, slightly used frying pan or moderately soiled ball cap.

Highlights of the Nitro family sale included a visit from the veteran haggler for whom three-CD's-for-$1 was not quite good enough ("Will you take 75 cents?") and our shocking inability to move the children, though they were marked at a mere 50 cents apiece/2-for-75 (better than fair market value for healthy white children with their organs fully intact. Or so I thought.)

In all, a succesful venture. No blood was spilled, the garage and attic are now wide open and ready to be filled with new junk, and the boys are stored comfortably in appliance boxes until next years sale.

6 comments:

Captain Steve said...

Condolences on not being able to sell the children. My father's been trying for years with no takers, so good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

No takers on the kids, huh? I don't get it.

Off to scratch "hold a garage sale" off my list. Thanks, Nitro.

Heather said...

People often tell me that I have lost my children...I reply, "No they always find me."

Arizaphale said...

I love the way county rummage sales are like a huge reorganisation of junk. Everything up in the air and it all comes down in different houses. Oh well, variety is.... etc etc etc

Zephyr said...

To sell the kids you just have to convince the potential buyer why they need them. And quickly drop the price when they look at all interested so they'll think it's a real bargain. But not too quickly so they'll think you're trying to sneak one past them.

On second thought...

You know the movie "The Ransom of Red Chief", right? Honestly, your best bet is probably to sneak the kids into someone's car, and then hope they will pay you to take them back.

we_be_toys said...

"Shocking inability to move the children"

I love you Ray! Sometimes you just say the best things.

Glad to hear the yard sale/rummage went well. You know, if I didn't already have two of those boy-kid things, I would have blown 75 cents for a couple of second hand boys. Some folks just don't know a bargain when they see it!